View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 09:05 AM

Patrick, I'm having a similar problem, albeit of much less intensity. I can still excercise, but not at the level that I would like, so, the weight is becoming a problem. If you're still on med's and need them to control the pain, you might want to speak to your doc about ones which do not have weight gain as a side effect. Back before my ADR I was on Neurontin and gained about five pounds. Last year I tried Zonegram for some lingering leg-hip pain and lost nearly ten pounds. Later I found out that Zonegram is being marketed as a weight loss drug. The point is, there are so many different analgesic med's out there with so many different side effects, it might be possible to find some the are at least neutral from a weight gain-loss standpoint, and maybe some that will help you lose some weight. Another suggestion is to do all the excercise you can. I make the mistake of telling myself if I can't go to the gym and really push thing, then I'll just stay on the couch and snack - WRONG! If all we can do is walk around the block, or water-walk at the pool, or do some floor yoga, then we should do it. Any excercise, however mild, will give you a feeling of mental well being and remind you that you still have some control over your life. This could help reduce depression-related eating (I get this bad). If you want, you can even take a positive approach and say that you're "training" for a future restorative spine surgery. New things are being developed all the time, and the better shape you stay in, the better chance you'll be able to take advantage of one of them - even if there is nothing available to help you right now.

Good luck and please keep posting.

Laura
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog