View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 10:56 AM

Default Frustrated, in pain, running out of options.

Hello fellas:

I'm a 32 y/o firefighter who's been battling with DDD to my lumbar spine for about 8 years after an on the job injury. As of the last 21/2 -3 years ive develop severe discogenic pain. Thankfully not sciatic pain unless I spend a long time sitting which I can never do bc sitting over 20 mins with the back pain I'm experiencing is a big no no. I have herniations and annular tears on L4 thru S1. Had a discogram to confirm it and it was positive. my L2-L3 is also showing sings of DDD.

With that said I went to a very prestigious Dr in Miami (I'm located there) and he recommended a MI TLIF to L4-S1. I'm telling you right now. Not gonna happen I refuse. This would mean I can't be a firefighter any more besides affecting my activities which I have not performed in over two years anyways but had the hope that some day thru the advances of medicine(joke right) I'd be able to do. ( as far as I know there's no issues with my facet joints and my bone density should be fine)
Enter ADR. I found out about this great option(granted not always successful but then I could live with the fusion knowing I tried everything and gave mysef a chance) Since Live in Miami I read around here and did some more research online and discovered I have a very good ADR surgeon in my backyard. Dr Rolando Garcia. Well as my luck has it I requested a Dr change to my WC manager and requested Rolando Garcia. All great but there's an issue. Garcia only takes WC that do pre-payments. Well my WC doesn't do pre -payments. So I just received the news from the case manager and I'm so depressed after hearing this. I really had my hopes on Dr Garcia. So now I ask the more experience people in here. Do you recommend or know any other Dr's the do ADR in South Florida? I went to my own Dr as well and he also said "after exploring all other non-invasive options I may have to consider surgery although he doesn't usually recommend it".

I've had therapy, cortisone shots, rest, pain meds don't help anymore other than make me sleepy. I was a very active person. Water Polo player at a very high level, use to mountain bike all the time and take my dogs (4) out all the time. This all started to faced out of my life little by little and now I'm just a couch potato. I'm tired of living like this. I want my life back so any help you guys can provide I'll listen to.

I've also looked at the M6 overseas but this is not a feasible option right now due to my financial situation.
Sorry about the long post.