View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 PM

Firemedix,

Welcome and condolences.

There is an ADR recipient on this site, which I believe from his description of his job, is also a fireman. He had ADR a year ago and is now back on the job, including lifting and carrying people (with no issues). And like you he is also very active when off the job. He had lumbar M6 with Dr Boree, which you said it not an option for you. He goes by the handle, zoticos. He doesn't post here very often anymore, but if you PM him I'm certain he'd respond to you.

As your surgery will be in the US, you will very probably get a ProDisc-L. I don't know your surgeon, but would strongly encourage you to check his history of successful.vs.unsuccessful outcomes with ADR before you allow him to operate. As you've observed there are no mulligans with lumbar spine ADR, and an unsuccessful surgery can leave you much worse off than before. I don't know if this will be an option for you, but Dr Zigler at TBI in Plano, TX reliably turns out a steady stream of excellent outcomes with the ProDisc-L. I would encourage you to look into that possibility.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011