View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 01:10 PM

Default another new person with a couple of questions..

Hello everyone,

A little background....

I've already sent my paperwork over to Stenum Hospital in Germany. They have recommended a 3 level cervical implant procedure. I'll spare all the details but I have some mild stenosis on one level, herniations, bulging, bone spurs, etc...

In fact, most of my cervical region has problems, but the worst starts at C4-5 and goes down from there. To make matters worse, 3 years ago my car doors were frozen shut and I shoved my shoulder against the car in an attempt to get the doors unstuck. I woke up the next day with balance problems and have been unsteady ever since. I was diagnosed with whiplash. I'm sure if I had had a healthy neck, I would not have been injured....

I have heard of some problems with the doctor they assigned to me at Stenum and I am unemployed and therefore would very much like to find a surgeon in the US. It would save me a lot of money.

I live in Michigan, so does anyone know of an impressive surgeon that is preferably close by? I do understand this surgery is very important so I am willing to go the extra mile and travel if I need to. I understand that at this time I probably won't find a surgeon in the US to do a 3 level implant, but I was thinking that perhaps they could do just one level to help me get by until more levels can be done in the US.

Also, I do have medical insurance but I have a strong suspicion that they won't pay for this surgery. Does anyone know of a medical insurance that can be purchased individually? It sounds like Aetna might have some plans but they sounded like plans only offered through an employer.

Doesn't it just suck to have these kinds of problems? I was injured by a chiropractor 20 years ago who gave me a couple of karate chops to my neck. Literally from that day on I've had neck problems and arthritis set into the injured area and it's just been a downhill slide. Why did I go to the chiro in the first place? He was a friend of my sister, just starting out and I thought I would throw him a little business. I wasn't having any spinal issues at the time.

My mom was a registered nurse and told me that chiro's were quacks. I wish I had listened to her...

Good luck everyone. I totally understand your situation!

Laurie