View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 06:50 AM

gotta disagree on the MRI's... i would say that only L5/S1 looks "good" and that's on that 2nd image. the others have varying degrees of degeneration - hard to say on the one view.

ya'll gotta remember - not all MRI sequences are good for looking at discs! the STIR sequence really is best. i can't elaborate on the physics of it, but T1 and T2 aren't as good for looking at discs. they're better at looking at the brain and cord itself, and for infection... but for the disc itself, STIR is where the money is.

you also need to look at the transverse images - those that are cuts through at 90 degrees from those seen. they tell you more about the disc architecture. it would be tough for the non-medically savvy to pull the relevant ones from an MRI.

also gotta remember that MRI doesn't always tell the whole story. i feel like a broken record your MRI is just one of many diagnostic tests used to determine the source of pain and what should be done next.

true DISCOGENIC pain often doesn't come from a nasty disc!!! i can testify to this with 100% certainty, from my experience. as soon as my disc was gone, that awful horrid pain was gone and i haven't had a hint of it since surgery.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.