View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Default Multi level in US

Hi,

First to my knowledge I am unaware that multi-level lumbar ADR are available in the US with the exception of a clinical trial. My US MD is involved in an upcoming 2 level prodisc trial for the lumbar spine, but it is cirrently in approval process with the FDA. Irregardless, I am allergic to nickel which would disqualify me for any of the current trials as the prodisc has metals closely related to nickel.

I have seen posts before about people getting multilevel in the US. i don't know how that is happening as the FDA has only approved one level. Unless of course they are enrolled in a clinical trial.

I have had debilitating pain for about 3 1/2 years. I had every tx offered on the US for DDD. I saw 3 US siurgeons who all concurred that due to my multi-level DDD they would not fuse, and recommended an ADR. Since I am allergic and the only model availble in the US has nickle/chrobium, I looked at Europe.

My discogram was positive for 2 of the 3 discs. This solidified the need to go out of US. I looked at three MD's Dr. boeree in England, Dr. Bagnoli in Germany and Dr. Clavel in Spain. I selected Dr. Clavel because I wanted a neurosurgeon, I wanted to be in a level one hospital and I knew I wanted the M6 disc. After my consultation and alot of pondering, I decided to do the third level as well, as it was already endstage DDD, though neg on discogram.

There are a number of excellent MD's capable and experienced in this surgery. You just need to choose whom you feel most at ease with. As far as going to Europe, I would have paid a higher price if the same options were available to me in the US, to stay in the US, Moot point.

Let me know what you find out regarding multi level in the US. It wont change my decision now as I have paid my travel arrangements and surgical costs for my OR on 3/14, but I am curious.

Good luck, hope this helps, feel free to PM if you need anything.

Laurie
2009-facet inj, radiograph ablation, SI joint injections, cryoablation stubborn no relief
2010-retired d/t pain. more injections
2011-IDET of L3-L5. Pain unchanged, up 50 lbs!
2011-Lumbar ADR recommended by Ortho and 2 neuros. In appeals w/ins. May choose Europe for M6
Need to lose lbs