View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 07:14 AM

Another update:

I had a CT and MRI yesterday before meeting with my doc again. No problems with the facets and clear single-level DDD between C5/6. He said there was very slight cord impingement but nothing severe.

He pushed fusion fairly hard since i complain mostly about neck pain/headaches. But I explained to him that I just don't do the activities anymore that aggravate my arm pain with the exception of exercise. Even then, I limit which exercises I do.

Once I made it clear that I preferred ADR he was supportive. I think the fact that he's involved in the Bryan disc makes him push fusion so there's no chance that he gets accused of a conflict of interest. I respect him for that.

Anyway, I call first week of September to schedule surgery. Insurance approval may be tricky since neck pain is the chief complaint. I guess I'm not the "ideal" ADR candidate. Dr Heller did say though that some of his european colleagues have had success treating neck pain with an ADR.

I'm hoping that at worst I can resume a normal life and level of activities even if the neck pain isn't resolved. I can live with the neck pain if it means I can resume normal activities.

I do wonder though if I'm jumping the gun on surgery. While the pain is real it's become more of a quality of life issue than anything else. I can still work full time and the pain rarely incapacitates me. Compared to others on this site who had significant radiculopathy mine seems very minor considering I can avoid it most of the time.

I guess my question is whether surgery is worth it just for a lifestyle change. Or have I become so used to the pain over the last 11 years that I don't know how nice it would be to not have it? I'm still inclined to do the surgery and would rather do it now when I'm 35 and relatively healthy vs waiting until it could become debilitating.

Opinions?
In 2005 pain began getting worse.
Diagnosed as DDD in July 2007.
Surgery recommended after 6weeks of PT made the pain worse.
ADR scheduled for Jan 26, 2009. Rescheduled for August 5!
Bryan disc finally FDA approved, and just in time too.
Neck was all jacked up and had to be fused unfortunately.