View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 06:21 AM

Be very careful of how long you take larger doses of Ibuprofen every day! Has any dr frowned upon this? There is a reason.

Before I really knew what was wrong I was taking a lot of it and PT and PCP's told me not to do it but I felt like I had to and they weren't giving me any options.

Well as a result, I started poping Tums like candy and it turned out that I had damaged my esophagus (chronic GERD with a hiatal hernia) and now require one of the Protien Pump Inhibitor medicines every day. My med is called AciPhex. It's not cheap medicine!

There are other pain meds that are much more gental for long term chronic pain while you contemplate surgery.

I ended up using Tramadol daily, sometimes with Neurontin and for break through pain days I took Vicodin. No more NAISD's! Just a heads up. You might be hurting your body in the long run.

Also, just one question...do you go to the dentist on a regular basis? I didn't make the connection with my headaches until after I found out I needed a root canal. As soon as that was treated, my headaches went away. I realize cervical disc issues can be very different than lumbar disc problems but it's a possibility. I was blamming the headaches on my lack of sleep from back pain. I was wrong.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop