View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 02:30 AM

7/11
Saw Dr Heller yesterday at the Emory Spine Clinic here in Atlanta and was impressed. He wants another MRI as mine is a year old and an epidural CT scan. He said my case is not clear cut right now because while I clearly have DDD, it's not clear that the nerves at C5/6 are being compressed.

He wants me to keep fusion on the table as an option but I got the impression he was leaning towards ADR. To his credit, he wants as much information as possible before recommending a path. I got the impression that he wants a successful surgery, not just another notch in his disc replacement belt.

My follow-up appointment is August 14. I have the MRI, then the CT scan, then meet with him. He did suggest I contact the insurance company today to find out what their policy on artificial cervical discs now.

Now for the truly great news. I called the insurance company and they said ADR is apporved based on medical necessity! So at least if he recommends ADR, there shouldn't be much, if any, kind of fight.

Side note: Dr Heller indicated that the Bryan cervical disc should get FDA approval in the next 1-3 months.

Regards,
Jason

Hello all. How lucky am I to have found this resource!

After 10 years of believing that I was suffering from tension headaches coupled with carpal tunnel, I was diagnosed last summer as having advanced DDD at C5/6. PT only made the pain worse so the Dr recommended surgery as the last resort.

I've learned which activities I can and can't do based on how I'll feel afterwards. No roller coasters, water skiing, doing house work that requires me to lift my arms above my head and many forms of exercise.

If I avoid the activities then for the most part ibuprofen keeps the pain manageable. 800-1600mg is my normal daily dosage.

I'm torn about getting the surgery. On one hand I'm managing the pain better than I ever have before. On the other, my activities are severely limited and will only get more limited as the kids get older.

I'm making an appointment for a 2nd opinion with a Dr at the Emory Spine Center here in Atlanta. A firend who's a Dr in their pain management group recommended him so hopefully I can get in to see him.

This is a great site and excellent resource though and I'm definitely glad I found it. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences!

Forgot to mention, I'm 34 with no other significant health concerns.

Regards,
Jason
In 2005 pain began getting worse.
Diagnosed as DDD in July 2007.
Surgery recommended after 6weeks of PT made the pain worse.
ADR scheduled for Jan 26, 2009. Rescheduled for August 5!
Bryan disc finally FDA approved, and just in time too.
Neck was all jacked up and had to be fused unfortunately.