View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 08:27 PM

Default New guy, Advice needed

After the longwinded background information, a viable question will follow.

I underwent a laminotomy/ discectomy for L5/ S1 in late June of 2006. After several months of pain on/ pain off, another MRI pointed to a recurrent disc. I underwent that surgery in 04/ 2007.

I've had two MRIs and one Myleogram (nobody warned me about the myleogram) since then. All agree that I have DDD in three more discs, the surgeries on L5/ S1 ultimately were successful. It has no signs of fragmentation or excessive scar tissue.

All tests indicate:

L2/ L3 Disc desiccation, disc space narrowing with posterior annular tear with minimal disc bulge but no significant central canal or neural foraminal narrowing.

L3/ L4 broadbase bulge and mild facet joint arthropathy with mild narrowing of central canal and bilateral mild to moderate foraminal narrowing, left greater than right.

L4/ L5 has an annular tear and broadbased disc bulge with moderate narrowing of the central canal. There is facet joint arthropathy with moderate bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

L5/ S1 is dessicated It has a mild bulge with minimal narrowing of the central canal. The neural foramina are patent.

Two orthopedic and one neurosurgeon just look at me and tell me none of these issues are problematic (individually) but my PCP thinks that together the dynamics of normal motion create the variable levels and areas of pain I experience. All but the neurosurgeon has offered to fuse L5/ S1. He wanted me on pain meds and physical therapy.

Here's the question (finally):

Is this the way your individual journeys started or am I just going to the wrong doctors? Although a new member, I've been reading your stories for several months and value your input.

Thanks,

Bob