Thread: Sleep Issues
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 PM

Default rolfing

Well I didn't know anything about rolfing...what a horrible name but I met a guy who claims he was facing multi level fusion or ADR after a car/bike accident and found rolfing...which helped him avoid surgery and now is very physically active.

After having lots of good PT and massage experiences, I do feel like rolfing has something new to offer. My IT band, especially left side is very tender and painful to touch, super tight. I couldn't tollerate his first approach to stretching out that fascia but I could tollerate it when he tried a different approach. My legs (IT/quads), back of head/neck, armpits, peck muscles were on fire the night after my first session... in a way I knew he was hitting some areas that really needed work. Not dangerous kind of pain but the kind of pain you know in the long run is productive.

I have my second session this week. This stuff should be included in a comprehensive insurance plan for people with chronic pain. Massage, PT, rolfing, accupuncture, whatever it takes to be productive again!

This is related to this sleeping topic because pre injury I was a stomach sleeper..I have not been able to sleep on my stomach since injury...makes my legs go numb. And I cannot sleep on back because my butt and hips need relief, so I sleep on my side, alternating back and forth which I've noticed has put a lot of pressure on my shoulders and I have had more recent problems with a tingling in my pinky fingers as a result. IN rolfing, I'm discovering that my shoulders have really rolled forward and tightened up in a way I don't think existed before I was injured and had all these sleeping problems. It is a big "hot spot" where the nerves flow from neck to arm via shoulder/front part of armpit.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop

Last edited by LBP; 12-15-2008 at 09:05 PM.