View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Default Smart disc

Richard,

I remember reading about that disc during one of the recuperation periods after the discectomies. I can see a value of being able to track the physical motions of the patient to pinpoint problem areas after implantation but it seems a little late at that stage. I wonder how many revision surgeries that device would lead to?

The program I was refering to was a CAD simulator putting thousands of miles on a truck in an afternoon, measuring stress levels and the effects on the section modulus/ RBM of various structures. I was only musing about the possibilty of a similar program to diagnose a spinal structure's actual motion to properly treat the effected area of the spine. I would think that could take the "guesswork" out of, as in my case, an arthritic facet joint was going to be inpacted by and ADR or if it could've been the cause of the disc failure(s).

My opinionof the medical community is they don't have time to properly use all of the information available since the FDA and insurance companies are severely limiting proceedures and treatments. I'd imagine trying to wind their way through the FDA red tape and dodging the insurance companies investigators is a taxing workload in itself. No wonder they rush us through with fusions and diagnosis "light". I've read all these stories about the battles the Forum's patients go through with insurance coverages and just getting permission to get the right tests and that's only the start of the battle. It's no wonder these doctors take the easy way out. There's not enough manhours to do battle with all the red tape agencies needed to do the job right.

(I'm going to need a ladder to get off this soap box, aren't I?).

Sorry for the rant,

Bob