Thread: Prolotherapy?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 08:56 AM

I've started a prolotherapy regimen for SI joint and surrounding ligaments. No miracles so far, but, I may have other issues (nerve scarring) that the prolo would not address. In addition to the article in the FAQ's there are many studies that you can find on the web. Unfortunately, the clinical studies don't show much definitive success. On the other hand, the clinical studies are somewhat limited and do not always involve strict patient selection.

As far as prolo for disc repair, I think the only possible potential would be bolstering of some of the annular fibers. All prolo can do is stimulate growth of fibrous tissue - not the proteoglycans of the disc nucleus. Since the disc annulus is fibrous tissue, there is some logic to the idea that prolo could help - maybe. At the same time, remember that, in order to access the disc, your prolotherapist would need to introduce the scleorescerant solution fairly near your nerve roots. If some of the solution leaked onto the nerve roots, that could result in nerve root scarring - something surgeons go to great lengths to avoid.

Personally, I'd employ prolo to strengthen surrounding ligaments that have easily accessible attatchements to the bone. This would be safer and possibly give you increased stability. Then go after your disc problems with SED, ADR, nucleoplasty, abrasion, etc. Then you've got the best of both worlds so to speak. Of course, this is just my opinion, so...

Good luck and please keep us posted on how you do if you try prolo or any other course of treatment.

Laura
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog