View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 05:06 PM

I am hoping that this post will find somebody out there that was or is in the same situation I am in.
This Monday April 9th I will be 3 months post op. I am so frustrated as my pain level is still worse than before surgery. I cannot understand why as the x-rays look great, I had a top surgeon do the ADR (Dr Bitan NYC)and I haven't done anything at all stressful to have rehurt my back.
I still cannot drive my car, even sitting in a car irritates my back I cannot go any longer than 15 minutes. I am really baffled as to why this doesn't seem to be working.
Before my surgery I had a Facet Injection, a Facet Nerve Block, 2 Epidurals and TWO Discograms. All of these tests pointed to L5-S1 as the source of the pain. I have in my Dr's words "a remarkable back" so I don't understand why I am not seeing even a tiny improvement.
I do an equal amount of walking around my house and walking on the treadmill as I do resting on the sofa. I have been very careful not to do anything stupid to risk messing up the disk.
I do not have any pain in my legs, I do have alot of pain in my buttocks and hips when I am in bed, it is especially painful when I wake up first thing in the morning. I get very little sleep unless I take Ambien CR before I go to bed, I don't have this butt/hip pain during the day only really at night.
I am in great health except for my back I am not overweight I eat all the right foods ect.......
I am sure alot of you will say it is still early days yet which I do somewhat agree, but I would think and Dr Bitan also told me that I shouldn't be in this much pain (usually between 7 and 9) 3 months out.
I should also mention my meds. I am taking 60mg Kadian every 12 hours and 15mg MSIR for breakthrough every 6 hours. I have been taking these for a month now and my body seems to be adjusting to them already, they don't work as effectively as they did the first week. I saw PM Dr on Tuesday he will not up the doses any higher said it would cause other problems.
I so badly want to be able to get back to normal and do fun things again, like getting dressed up and going out to dinner with my husband, or go shopping in the mall NOT in a mall wheelchair!!!!
Can anybody help me out here?? I don't know where to turn next!! What would you do if you were in my shoes???
Thank You,
Positive discogram 2005 L5-S1
Positive 2nd discogram 12/06 with anaesthetic block
Facet nerve block 2006 negative
ADR surgery L5-S1 Charite Disc / Dr Bitan January2007
X- LIF L4-l5 October 2009
Fusion L5-S1 revision surgery to eliminate charite disc. 2011