View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Banned

Went well. I liked him more this time than the last, and when asked how many multiple level Pro disc surgeries he's done, he said "over 100".. so that sounded good to me.

However, what he recommended for me is a "hybrid" surgery with fusion at L5S1 and Prodisc at L4 (discogram pending).

Reasoning for fusion is that now I am so collapsed at L5S1, he felt he would have to jack that level up too much and the distraction pain would be much worse than if he put in a cage with no screws, no rods, using BMP.. (or do I have that backwards)..

He said he wouldn't put a Charite in at L4 because of the load it would put on the facets (too much movement) and Pro disc would be a better choice for me.

My current OSS wants to do Charite at L4 and fusion at L5S1. He did mention using pedicle screws which I didn't want... I don't believe he's done nearly as many ADR's tho has certainly done as many and more fusions (he's older and practicing longer)..

My Nurse Case Manager said that the one level Prodisc and one level ADR would be authorized as soon as Prodisc is FDA approved which Dr.Bae said should be very soon..

He did add that he "could" put in the Prodisc most likely tho again, he thought the distraction pain would much more significant for me..

Re my past issue with burning pain lasting 5 years and bilateral.. he said yes, that I'd probably experience that again, altho he couldn't say if would be as painful or as long lasting..

He would use ESIs, nerve root blocks, and the same medication I'm on (Neurontin) or maybe something else to combat that..

My bone density is something that he said needs to be better than my '04 report. He'd rather see it at -2.0 (was -2.2) and if it's -2.5 or below he will put me on Forteo for a year or two..

So most likely I will go with his treatment as it sounds the most comprehensive at this point...

Tho I had to use a transportation service WC provided last yesterday and they sent out a person driving a regular small to mid size vehicle and I need something more like SUV to travel in as my arse was killing me on the way back stuck in rush hour traffic for over 2 hours!

Ok, that's it I think...