View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 10:46 PM

Default HELP ADR or fusion?

Hi,

I (46 yr old male) have severe stenosis in cervical spine. I am scared/confused/.... These are my choices

1) I saw another experienced surgeon (who is nearly 70 years old, 30+ yr experience). He was recommended by a friend who had cervical fusion with him. He said "come back when you are ready for surgery". He is not under my insurance, but as I have PPO he is covered indirectly but his office is not co-operating with billing to the backup insurance.

2) An othro spine surgeon who has 12 years experience. I ran into three of his patients (one at work and two at the hospital). They were all happy with him (Another ortho who i really liked) also said he was good. He is moving to a new hospital that is 2 hrs away. I am concerned whether he would have different helping surgeons or PA's... I am willing to drive. He asked me to wait... but pain is getting worse.

3) I have also thought about ADR as cervical ADR patients report so much success and even research paper shows ADR patients have better responses at 2 or 5 year followup. As far as ADR, I probably have to go to Spain or somewhere as insurance would not cover two level ADR. I would be willing to do that based on 90% ADR pateints live next 5 years without complexity where as only 60%-70% fusion patients do (nonfusion, C5 palsy, next level fusion, other complexities).ADR becomes very complex when bone rejects the metal or bone starts to melt. Redo of ADR is very hard. Not many would be able to do that.

I was leaning towards either solution number 2 or 3. Please advice... specially if you live in SoCal and had cervical surgery in the area. (My T-spine and L-spine MRIs are good).