View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesasster View Post
Thanks for the information from various members and it is very informative.
I just read an article in which it was mentioned that almost all the ADR material currently available causes heterotrophic ossiification (HO) that start affecting the adjacent levels. I also read that it can be of various degrees of ossification. I wonder if it depends on how does the procedure and skills of the surgeon?
Best
Shawn
From what I understand HO affects the operated levels, not adjacent ones. And while the studies do confirm that HO is quite prevalent, for all the currently available artificial discs, it also doesn't necessarily cause any adverse symptoms or reduced range of motion.

I asked a few of the spine surgeons I met with about HO (including some well know for their ADR experience), and they downplayed the concern about it. According to them, HO is not a reason not to go the ADR route, the worst thing that can happen (other than device migration or other very rare events) is autofusion due to bone growth, which will occur naturally over time anyway.