View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Harrison: Thanks for not falling asleep! Regarding the Tarlov cysts.....I researched them myself pretty extensively, and chatted with my pain doc and surgeon #2 (surgeon #1, and I quote:"anyone operating on those is NUTS") about them. It was actually the pain doc that brought them to my attention and said "hmm, maybe they are the problem?" Surgeon #2 didn't dismiss them, but after studying them on the MRIs at my request, we both noticed that the larger of the two is actually on my asymptomatic side. Their location doesn't match the pain distribution. I was on the Tarlov Cyst forum for quite some time, but I truly don't believe they are the problem. I guess my biggest concern is WHY aren't more people on board with this? The docs who are so aghast at the mention of disc replacement, why do they feel that way? This is what I hope to learn, as well as outcomes, return to work, return to play, return to my beloved Boundary Waters Canoe Area! I'm glad I have found a surgeon that I can have some confidence in....we had a slightly rocky first meeting, but I immediately sent a gently chiding letter to him,and the subsequent visits have been very informative and less egotistical! Then there is the insurance hassle which is likely forthcoming, but I'm up for a fight. Nothing like 4+ years of annoying pain to make one a bit persistent.

Ciao
Susan/ERvet
2007-RF @L5-S123, 2mo relief
2008-disco pos @L5-S1, +/-L4-5
Waiting as long as poss for ADR, considering biacuplasty
Don't even ask about the other ortho sx!
New onset left-sided pain Nov 08