View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 11:13 PM

Default New Girl here...Thanks for all the INFO

Wow,
I'm overwhelmed with all the information here. Thanks to all of you!

I"m logging in here as a new member and I hope I don't break any rules.
I'm a very healthy, active 48 year-old, mother of 12 year-old twin boys, and a full time employed economist at the Federal Reserve (Dallas).

I had severe neck pain 5 years ago. Diagnosed with some degeneration.....not bad enough to do anything about at that time, but saw many orthos and finally ended up with a very good chiro and my pain subsided. Then it got very worse. My chiro moved to NY in 2008 and I quit alternative therapy at that time, I've lived with very bad pain for a couple of years. (You mothers will know that we sacrifice oursleves for our children and work,etc....)
AFter a couple of vacations (in the car and in the plane) I couldn't take it anymore. I went back to my ortho and he diagnosed multiple level DDD. Double Fusion. (with a tear at the next level)

Now, after much research, we have decided on C7/6 fusion, with next level ADR (ProDisc C). I have a tear in the next level up, which makes this all the more important.

I saw 4 doctors. I picked Blumenthal in Plano TX. I like him?? Any suggestion? I also saw Peloza among others (like him too, but he's recommending Prestige)

Let me know what you all think about this. I've been denied twice from BCBS ILLiois and we've had to cancel two surgery dates. Needless to say, I am depressed and anxious. My poor husband and kiddos are having to deal with an angry mom, by end of the day. I'm still working and driving....Trying to stay positive!!

Trying not to take pain meds (although is that what they all do????Send you off with a big bottle of narcotics and see you later?)

I rhink I've jumped through all the hoops, but BCBs keeps deniying. My doctor has kind of left it up to me...

Help...I don't want to take pain meds. Any advice for staying positive is appreciated. I start physical therapy tomorrow (done it, and the injections, traction, etc all before) because insurance wants new info. I'm so afraid that they will actually hurt me and make things worse. I have xrays and mri's showing DDD degeneration, two collapsed discs, cord impingment, lesthesis, etc....

Nice to meet all of you.

I am (by trade) a researcher (I've actually written a paper with a Nobel Prize Winner in Economics), so I know I'm not totally out of the ball park here.

I will be glad to hear and help out in any way.
Your new member and Friend (I hope)
D'Ann