Thread: Mac - TN
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 12:38 PM

Mac -

Sorry to hear about all your back issues. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Look at getting the video "Getting Back on your feet" that Harrison made. It's on this websites homepage and talks alot about ADR, others experiences, etc ... It's quite good.

2. Talk to a few EXPERIENCED doctors who do ADR and get multiple opinions.

3. As Harrison said bellow, look at the link for ADR Risk, Complication and Disqualifications. Much of my research has shown me that the people who do the worst are those with co-morbidities (very overweight, smokers, other health issues, etc ...)

4. Learn as much as you can about back anatomy, ADR, and make a list of as many good questions for your doc going in to see him/her

5. You will find just as many success stories for Charite' as you will the Prodisc. The key to a good outcome (I believe), is the doctor performing it, and then your outlook, support, and determination to get better. How many has the doc done? how many with the particular disc your getting? what is the docs background? Talk about pro-op getting ready, and post-op recovery?

6. No one can tell you when the time is right. You will have to know it inside. When the pain overtakes your quality of life, then I would think it is time. Can you live with effective pain management, or will surgery possible dramatically improve your life function and abilities.

7. I've heard that a fusion at L5-S1 is Ok because it has the least movement, but my gut still tells me ADR is still the way to go. Too many open issues about adjacent levels, less mobility, etc ...

8. Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken