View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 PM

Hi Tx Rollergirl -- Thanks so much for replying back to me.I feel for you as well . I completely understand the challenges when a parent has spine issues. It most definetly has not been easy fortunately in 07 when I had my 1st surgery my youngest was 7yrs. old which really helped that they we're all old enough to help.But it has been an emotional rollercoaster ride for all of us.It weighs heavy on my mind but I have no control and have to make the best of it.

I have had a Dexa Scan per Doctor request.It came back fine.I have mild facet Hypertrophy but it is at the level that will be fused.From the research I have done I would most definetly not place a ADR at the L5-s1 level.That area has little to no movement and I believe fusion would be best.Dr. Blumenthal has performed countless ADRs.This is what he specializes in. I feel very confident in his abilty .And being a good candidate is essential.

I would have to say if you and your hubby feel uneasy seek more opinions.The more the better.I feel I had more than one opinion since my doctor for my cervical was aware of my Lumbar issues and was the one to suggest talking to Dr.Blumenthal about Hybrid surgery.My other doctor does Lumbar Fusions he could have easily said let's fuse it but he didn't and he said he thought I really should research Hybrid surgery.So that advice goes a long ways.

I know how your husband feels it's very diffucult when your pain is increasing but yet you don't want to increase your meds.It's one of the toughest problems with this whole thing.

I hope for you both you can find what your looking for and what will work for you and what will give you peace.If I find more useful info. I will share it.Maybe a few more opinions will help with your decision.Take care wishing pain free days and wishing my best to your family.
Kaitiedid

*I also have contemplated double fusion but I worry so much about adjacent disks failing.My level above show some DDD.It's a very hard decision !!!
Proposed ADR 4-5,ALIF 5-S1