View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Betsey,

I so hate that you're having this kind of issue; especially considering that you're only 19! My problems started at 39, and I'm now 47.

I tried working for two months with intractable pain. I'm an engineer and work in a lab with computers, oscilloscopes, and other electronics; and except for a handful of occasions when I had to ask someone to open the door to the anechoic chamber for me, I was able to perform all of my daily tasks. If a kidney stone is a 10, my pain was a 4 or 5 at rest, and a 9 when opening that darn door. I had a very low productivity for those two months though. However, I cannot imagine the demands of having tried to work in that condition for months or years on end. Some people do it, but I was fortunate enough to have had the financial ability to have my pain cured.

With current medical technology your doctor may be correct in stating that this will be a life long cycle for you of dealing with this problem. Take heart; I recently read a story of a gentleman that received an artificial lumbar disc some 19 years prior, and has had no new issues since. So very good long term outcomes are possible.

Waiting for surgery can be a double edged sword. As your surgeons have noted, the positive aspect is that there may be better technology in a few years. A negative aspect is that waiting too long results in nerve damage in some people. Even after the spine is repaired, some exhibit life long numbness, debilitating pain, or paralysis due to the nerve damage. You truly have a daunting choice to make. Whatever course you select, I sincerely hope that you're able to avoid a fusion.

Good luck, Jeff

BTW: If you don't mind sharing it, what are you studying? When will you graduate? And what line of work are you planning on?
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011