View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C Dunstan View Post
You are way to young to do this surgery.

Sorry to be harsh but, that isn't a particularly useful attitude.

Inversion therapy is only effective in buying a little time. Realistically, if your surgeons are recommending eventual surgery, you probably need to make some decisions like "if things get so bad, it's time to get a surgery," "if I have to give up this, the risks of a bad surgery are equal to the way my life would suck if I had to keep going like that." While you're working through those thoughts, you buy time to think by doing all the other things, including inversion therapy if you want, and use them to control your pain so you can think without the drug fog. Closing out surgery because you're too young isn't right because it will ultimately lead you to feeling trapped with your pain. Recognizing that rushing into surgery when you have a whole lot of life to live with a botched or less than perfect surgery is also important but your age also weighs in on the other side of the balance. You have a lot of life ahead of you. An eighty-year old could realistically decide to tough out a few years of back pain. A nineteen year old needs to find a solution that will work for a lifetime.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog