View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 10:37 AM

CindyLou,

First of all, it's good to hear that the fusion has completely fused. I hope the SI injections provide relief. As you've mentioned, it's a crap shoot. But sometimes you roll a hard 6.

I can commiserate with you about your pain. Although you have had substantially more pain throughout the period since your fusion, my level of pain has significantly increased in my sacrum, hips, and L4-L5 area ever since my vertebrae have fused. Apparently, the muscles are getting used to the new framework, and are adjusting the bones around.

Chronic pain turns you into someone you don't want to be. If you are like me, you might wait until the pain becomes unbearable before taking your pain medication. If this is the case, DON'T WAIT! Stay ahead of the pain and take it at regular intervals, just like you did during your initial recovery. My pain management doctor recently explained how staying ahead of the pain helps further reduce the level of pain. It will also bring you better sanity. I curse being back to four Norcos a day. However, it has calmed me down emotionally by not waiting.

Best wishes and prayers,

-Dave
Intrepid Fusion L4-L5, 7/08
Increasing pain since solid fusing, 1/09
Bilateral Transforaminal Injections 3/09
Facet Joint Injections (L3-S1) 4/09
RF Ablation (Medial Branch) 5/09
CT Scan, MRI w/ contrast (no new info) 5/09
Latest:
- I wake up with no pain
- Stand/sit for 15 mins., pinching pain begins
- Pain at center, core L4-L5