View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 12:00 AM

Hi Molly, It sucks feelin crummy I know. I have a Prodisc at L4-L5. When I had the original discogram 3 years ago, it confirmed the degeneration at L4-L5 and an annular tear at L5-S1. The tear in the annulus was supposedly asymptomatic because it didn't react twice, only once during the discogram. The Prodisc was put in 2 years ago and I continued to have the same horrible back pain. After 2 more years of continuous severe pain, physical therapy, deep tissue massage, epidurals, facet joint injections, trigger point injections, medial branch blocks, 300mg of Oxycontin daily, 2400mg Neurontin daily and asking for another discogram for months, I finally had another discogram this week and L5-S1 reacted. I sure hope I didn't get the Prodisc for nothing. The L4-L5 supposedly needed the Prodisc because it was black on the films, but apparantly the L5-S1 needs some work on the annulus too. I am going to talk to the surgeon about my options but I'm sure I will be cut again. If I need a fusion at L5-S1 it won't be the worst thing in the world because that level doesn't rotate all that much anyway.

Just be sure that a fusion is what you need. It would seem such a waste if you were to fuse your Charite only to find your pain generator is another level. Just a thought. The discogram isn't perfect so I would have the other levels checked thoroughly first.
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1 tear)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC

Last edited by Eddie_G; 11-01-2008 at 12:03 AM.