View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Default multi level ADR in U.S with FDA approval

I recently (17 days ago!) had a three level cervical ADR (ProDisc C) in Seattle, WA with Dr. Jens Chapman. Insurance issues are still pending....but at a minimum, my insurance company agreed to pay for everything except 2 of the actual implants. I am appealing their decision to not cover 2 of the implants. My understanding from my surgeon is that once the FDA approved an artificial disc for single level use, a dr. could use the device for multi levels without needing any approval from the FDA. "Off label" use of prescriptions and medical devices/implants is actually quite common. If you are negotiating or appealing a negative decision from your insurance company, you might want to google "off label" use on the FDA, Mayo Clinic, and other medical websites and use quotes from those published sources. It took two written appeals from my surgeon's office and myself and also several phone calls to and from my state's medical insurance commissioner, the H,R. department where I work as well as the broker for my medical insurance. Don't give up! You have the right to the best possible medical care and depending on your medical insurance, you might be able to force them to cover the costs. Speaking from personal experience, it seems like insurance companies usually say no at least once or twice, probably hoping that the consumer will give up. I refused to give up and was lucky enough to have a great dr. that was willing to help me with two appeals. I totally related to your comments about not feeling good......it is hard to deal with the basic day to day requirements when you are in constant pain. I was in a similar situation just a short time ago. I am happy to say that I already feel 100 times better than I did before my ADR surgery. The minor surgery pain I am recovering from is nothing compared to the daily pain I had from the DDD in my neck before surgery. It was worth the wait and the battle! Good luck! Melody

Scoliosis surgery at age 13. Fused T-2 to L-4

Revision surgery 2007, fused to sacrum

Dec. 29, 2008 3 level Prodisc C surgery C4-5, 5-6, 6-7