View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 08:38 PM

Default Keep fighting insurance company

JJames,

It sounds like you are doing everything you can to get insurance to pay for the procedure. All I can suggest is that you keep doing what you are doing.....sometimes the squeaky wheel is the one that gets greased. The company I work for is also "self insured". Insurance companies (self insured or not) don't want want to lose money. I was costing my medical insurance company quite a bit of money to treat my chronic pain. I saw my GP monthly to get prescriptions for expensive meds, had twice monthly massages, went through an expensive series of diagnostic injections, tried chiropractic, acupucture, etc.....I sent the insurance company and HR a few letters that outlined those costs and reminded them that those monthly expenses would continue until I could have the surgery that my orthopedic surgeon believed was the best solution for me. I assured them that the costs would only keep mounting until they paid for ADR. The sooner I had the surgery, the less money the insurance company would have to pay in the long run. I also copied and mailed them any published material I could that was favorable to my case. I don't know what state you are in, but in Washington "self insured" companies fall under federal laws....I kept hearing the acronym "ERUSA". Have you consulted an attorney? Insurance companies don't want to have to pay attorney fees to defend a case. I suggest that you persistently demand the best medical care that you are entitled to. I called my insurance company about once a week. I also insisted that everything they told me be put in writing "for my attorney". Keep fighting! It is worth it! It has only been two and a half weeks since my surgery, but it has already been a life altering event! Good luck!

Scoliosis surgery at age 13. Fused T-2 to L-4

Revision surgery 2007, fused to sacrum

Dec. 29, 2008 3 level Prodisc C surgery C4-5, 5-6, 6-7