View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 02:46 AM

Well that's interesting to hear what you've got to say re engineering knowledge of elastomers.

Sort of going way off topic here but I've got the company (glossy) literature on what they exposed them too for their testing, basically 10million flexion extension (but it was only mild imo, 7.5 degrees or so) and 10 mil in lateral under 120N. At the end they required a lot less force to compress them, but it was still in the range or thereabouts of a real disc and they lost up to 2mm of height... a huge amount in my view... the company line laughable compared it to biological disc height loss under load... but they rehydrate.

Anyway that's a fair flogging for them and at the end they were still working. On that long term study of the charites a lot of them had auto-fused (which is the natural history really) so that may save a lot of strife in old age with adrs.

One thing which stood out to me is they stress test them in neutral, but once you install the disc it is in segmental extension due to lumbar lordosis. So a lot of unknowns and like most things the true test is time... so fingers crossed everything is sweet and if the end comes it comes quick, heart attack in sleep sort of thing.