View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 12:57 AM

Default Termites I tell you.....

Damn.

When I was younger I never thought my 19" tree trunk of a neck would be my weak link. I am 5’9.5” tall and 240lbs. I could stand to lose 40lbs, but that would put me completely lean with my build. I spent 15 years in the auto repair industry, and would not have been surprised at lumbar spine issues, but with all the stupid lifting I have done that has never been a problem (I know how lucky I am on that part). About 8 yrs ago the thumb, index finger, and 1/2 lengthwise of my middle finger on the right hand went numb. Spent 3 mo with the WC system till I got an MRI and a spine doc. I thought the diag was C4-5, but I cant find my old paperwork now. As I am a heavy frame build and way above the normal curve on strength my doc at the time opted to go non surgical with drugs and PT. Worked great at the time, but ended my career as a mechanic (was declared 39% perm disabled as my job involved regularly bending, overhead work, lifting 50lbs, and periodically lifting 100+lbs).

Now I am having different and worse symptoms for the last 6 weeks. Progressed from tension in the R-Shoulder and got worse (see sig). Started treatment with drugs and home traction, but have always had poor results with the over the door traction units. Got a ProNex pneumatic traction unit. The traction provided temporary relief for as long as I was on it, but that was all. The symptoms continued to get worse and I started PT. A strength test shoed my right hand 5% weaker than the left instead of the normal 20% stronger. Traction (Home or at PT) stopped helping and even started stimulating symptoms. HAd an MRI a week ago and saw a neuro surgeon today, He put me on a second Medrol Dosepac and a soft c-collar for a week but is expecting surgery (fusion). My referral was to Dr Christopher Uchiyama (chief of neuro surgery at Scripps Green in San Diego) but he had no apts till the end of oct, so I was scheduled with DR Justin Renaudin who has been practicing over 40 years and is no longer performing surgery. While he seems quite competent, he seems to think I would not be ADR candidate based on the fusion. I of course will be getting other opinions and trying different therapys.

I want to look at ANY options before I consider ending up with a double cervical fusion. I will be sending my MRI to the Laser Spine center in Scottsdale AZ for the free evaluation they offer and aggressively looking at other options. I am scared for my future as a physicaly active person. I have a 19 mo son I look forward to backpacking with as well as doing lots of other active things, and I dont want to have to think about not being able to things with him.

So, anyone have a recommendation in the Southern CA area to tent a tree trunk for termites?

(Sorry if I am a bit disjointed, as I am sure anyone here understands I am a bit freaked out)

Thanks
Jason
Mild herniations C3-4 and C4-5

Numbness R-Hand - Gone withing 48 hrs of surgury
"Hot-Wire" pain R-Shoulder through elbow and hand - still controlled with Nurontin, expected gone in a few weeks.
intermittent tingling and electrical jolts R-Arm - Gone after surgery

Last edited by Zymergist; 09-09-2010 at 01:47 AM.