View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Hey Zymergist -
<Snip>
I've also since met a lot of folks, and talked to a number of docs (nine different surgeons in California and Europe), who relate the potential shortcoming of waiting or going too slowly with fixing something such that adjacent structures (e.g. facet joints) are already affected - and it then becomes very difficult to effectively treat the situation in a way that really works because there are then multiple problems not just one.

I agree that surgery should generally be treated as a last resort - but, where weakness and other indicators are already significant, I wanted to move through the earlier 'resorts' pretty quickly if they really didn't solve the situation (as opposed to pushing it off).

<Snip>
Thanks Tyler!

I had already read your story and am impressed with how aggressive you were able to be.

Just had my second apt today with the first neuro. The second course of steroids have helped quite a bit, the numbness in my fingers is starting to lessen and the waves of pins and needles are less random. I seem to have some of the strength and fine motor coordination back as well. The Doc gave me a 50% probability of surgery within 5 years, but his thinking on surgery is fusion due to my existing fusion, and the indicators for surgery are unbearable pain and/or severe loss of strength/function. Yea he is fired, but he got me an apt with the next doc a month earlier than I could otherwise. Not that hopeful for the opinions that will come from this, but going through the steps within the network first.

I see my PT as my best resource and sounding board as to my condition so far, but here are my preferred courses in order:

>A miracle (not going to turn blue here....)
>A micro arthroscopic clean up of the bone spurs
>A clean up of the bone spurs and the disc protrusion (poss Laser)
>A clean up, reshaping of the disc and artificial nucleolus replacement (I don’t know exactly where they are with this, but the Biodisc cross linked protein polymer sounds good.)
>An ADR (probably leaning towards ProDisc, as a Tek Diver the M6 raises a few questions for me relating to captured space and bubbles)
>Fusion as a last resort

I have an HMO at the moment so my options without going out of pocket are going to be limited. My open enrolment starts in Nov and goes into effect in Feb, so I am going to work on the PT and see if I can stay in decent condition. My logic is that a less severe procedure that does not solve the problem could be followed up by the next level of procedure if required, and if a clean up will buy me 10 yrs the tech will be that much better. I want to stay as conservative as I can, but I am definitely not willing to wait for more severe nerve damage and other deterioration effects. If I end up out of pocket, well it is what it is and I can work to pay it off.

Jason
Mild herniations C3-4 and C4-5

Numbness R-Hand - Gone withing 48 hrs of surgury
"Hot-Wire" pain R-Shoulder through elbow and hand - still controlled with Nurontin, expected gone in a few weeks.
intermittent tingling and electrical jolts R-Arm - Gone after surgery