View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Default The microscope...a forgotten tool makes a comeback!

Naturally, the NIH does not fund this kind of useful research. I hope this changes!
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Grading of degenerative disk disease and functional impairment: imaging versus patho-anatomical findings.

Quint U, Wilke HJ.
Orthopaedic and Trauma Center, Spine Unit, St Marien-Hospital Hamm, Nassauerstr. 13-19, 59065, Hamm, Germany, ulrich.quint@marienhospital-hamm.de.

Degenerative instability affecting the functional spinal unit is discussed as a cause of symptoms. The value of imaging signs for assessing the resulting functional impairment is still unclear. To determine the relationship between slight degrees of degeneration and function, we performed a biomechanical study with 18 multisegmental (L2-S2) human lumbar cadaveric specimens. The multidirectional spinal deformation was measured during the continuous application of pure moments of flexion/extension, bilateral bending and rotation in a spine tester.

The three flexibility parameters neutral zone, range of motion and neutral zone ratio were evaluated. Different grading systems were used: (1) antero-posterior and lateral radiographs (degenerative disk disease) (2) oblique radiographs (facet joint degeneration) (3) macroscopic and (4) microscopic evaluation. The most reliable correlation was between the grading of microscopic findings and the flexibility parameters; the imaging evaluation was not as informative.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate