View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Banned

I have the flattest feet imaginable and had several orthotics made in the past for arch support. It's a long history of excuses as to why I haven't worn them, tho they always make something hurt it seems and since my low back has been a mess for 20 plus years, yes, my back seems to hurt more when I try to wear them.

Recently I saw a new Podiatrist as I have a bunion that's bothering me. He wanted me to bring my orthotics along so I did however, when I said they increase the back pain I have when I wear them, he went off on me~

He said he didn't have time for negative people, and wasn't going to waste his time listening to someone who complained of orthotics causing back pain.

I calmed him down by changing my wording a bit and stated my back has been painful since my injury and I didn't mean the orthotics caused it, just the pain increased with them on. Most likely (truthfully) because they change my stance altogether and my body has enough problems just dealing handling my normal stance and gait without being thrown off at all in terms of my spine and any new adaptations it might have to make.

So I left the office agreeing to wear the things anyway and boom.. I start wearing them and even tho I'm only in an adjustment stage with less than a half hour under my belt, I started to get nerve pain in my left glute that goes upwards towards my hip. I could hardly walk home..

Same thing next day, however, only with shoes/orthotics on. Take them off and after awhile I was fine.

Today no orthotic, no problem... I don't want to put these things on and adjust to them if it's going to mean increased back pain. I know that there's a period of adjustment time however, my spine gets set off very easily by something and can stay "messed up" for weeks~ meaning more down than up time and I just don't want to create additional pain~

I also know that my feet are very pronated and I could use the arch support however, my back just doesn't feel the same way (like my head and spine aren't attached/don't mind me).

I'm wondering if and when I have ADR, maybe that would be a good time to start over with the orthotics since my spine would be structurally different then and have to make adaptations anyway.

Does anyone here wear orthotics or started wearing them at any point with their back problems, after surgery or any such thing?

This is a pretty off topic so if I don't get any replies I won't be surprised..