View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 12:23 AM

Hey, sorry to hear about your painful experiences. I can empathise because I know the pain and I'm as active as you.... although I quit crossfit, which was crap but I just couldn't manage. I blew my disc out at a house fire (I'm a firefighter) 2 years ago and did EVERYTHING to avoid surgery but I ended up bone on bone and had no alternative. Best thing I did!!
I've only had a 1 level ADR at the L5-S1 level and am now 8 months post surgery. I've suffered immensely, I also have depression and anxiety as a result of the chronic pain and loss of lifestyle, but I'm on the mend and am kicking goals!
I decided to take anti depressants 2 months ago and it's helped me more than I'd imagined. I still have the same problems but am able to deal with them, I'm also socializing again. I have also noticed that my pain has decreased because with the anxiety, my back would spasm.
As far as my physical abilities go, I run up stairs, can walk and walk for hours, ride my bike, swim, yoga, and am weight training and doing crossfit type workouts (double unders don't hurt!!) without the back or front squatting, all without pain. I have pain after doing too much but it's so much easier to manage now. Stretching and walking eases my pain.
I will be back to full duties in April, one year post surgery, can't wait!!

I hope my story gives you some insight, and some hope for your future. All the best... oh, and I'm 40 years old.
Maggie