View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 01:41 AM

Default 8.5 years post injury and getting ADR finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner16 View Post
I look forward to the day I can refer to terrifying surgery like this! Its a good thing though, thanks for that.

Truth is at least for now I can manage discomfort wise but I just can't imagine this as my "new normal".

I have been told the following by spine surgeons, what do you think of this advice?

- Cervical surgery is best done sooner than later. Best within 6 months, for sure within 2 yrs and if wait 5 yrs may not be eligible for ADR's. Best results are for patients with more arm pain than neck pain. Neck pain usually doesnt improve, have surgery before nerve damage. Surgery for me is inevitable.

- Degeneration eventually stabilizes so if you can live with modified activites, the pain will get better. Surgery is risky and should be avoided at all costs because their is an inherent wild card with surgery and you may be worse off after surgery. Your odometer has "run out" and you should adjust your life style to avoid any physical stressors. No running, climbing, cycling etc.

I am puzzled by the contrast in opinions.

Best, Runner

Hi Runner,
Although I've not had my ADR surgery yet, I'm looking forward to returning to horseback riding (jumping) and competitive trap shooting after mine. My Doctor gave me a wait time of 6 months as an estimate, due to the nature of shooting and risk of injury from a fall from a horse, but he feels I'll be able to go back to both. As for the injury stabilizing, my discs were herniated when I was run over my a car in 2008. 8 1/2 years later, I'm finally getting definitive treatment. my discs have gotten progressively worse, as documented by MRI, but I still have some disc height left. This, and my determination to remain active, make me a good candidate for surgery. Don't get bogged down in artificial time lines- your symptoms and MRI will tell the story.

A thought on insurance appeals, in case you're headed that direction. Try the National Guidelines Clearinghouse website for treatment guidelines for the cervical spine. Many of these now include ADR as an option for patients who have failed conservative treatment.

Best of Luck!
GC
Herniated Discs C5-6, C6-7
Thoracic outlet syndrome, cervical radiculopathy,
cervical myelopathy
Had 2 level ADR with Mobi-C at UC Davis Medical Center on 9/14/16.