View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 02:31 PM

Hello Emily,

If there is any way you can upgrade to 1st class on your return trip, I would certainly do that. (Do you have family or friends who would be willing to give you, or sell you, frequent flyer points for upgrades?) I think your doctor will tell you how long you have to stay post-op.

A small thing, which was very important to me, take your own bed pillow (and extra pillowcases). I was able to take it on the plane along with a carry-on. I sat in the window seat and used the pillow in the space between the seat and the window, it gave me more room to stretch out. Also was a comfort in the hotel and hospital.

If you are having both surgeries at the same time, it might be a little soon to fly to London in May. However if you can afford first class, it shouldn't be a problem. The seats lay back and are very comfortable. Good luck with this, hope you get to see your sister married! Just remember your health comes first.

Don't be frightened. The cervical surgery is easy, I've heard the lumbar is a little worse. They give you good meds for post-op pain. Being depressed is normal, but try to stay positive. It helps in the healing process. Can you go to SanDiego a few days prior to your surgery? That would allow you to adjust to the time change and maybe dip your toes in the Pacific.

This is a big step, best wishes, thoughts and prayers are with you. Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany