View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 11:40 AM

(actually, I already know what to do, I am just venting....)

Talked to my neurosurgeon today, and he agrees from my discogram and CT scan that L4-L5 and L5-S1 need to be replaced.

He did note that multi-level disc replacement is my best option, and he said he has done a couple, but only when absolutely necessary, and he wouldn't do one for me (I am guessing that if I had him do a multi-disc replacement for me, it would probably cost me around $100k).

His overall suggestion: wait another year, at which point in time the Prodisc study should be completed, approved, and multi-level disc replacements should be available here in the U.S.

*sigh*

I happened to mention going to Germany to have it done, and his only response was, "well, the European doctors don't have the FDA" (implication: without the FDA, one can't possibly have a surgical procedure). [I decided to ignore his comment as opposed to try and get into debate about the skill level and efficiency of (certain) European surgeons.]

I also happened to ask him if he would do follow-up work if I went to Germany, and he very much declined (which I pretty much expected).

So, I guess my choices are:

a. Wait another year (in pain when I do absoutely nothing), and *hope* that everything will work out for me in the prodisc area.

b. Do nothing (yeah, right)

c. Continue my follow-up with Mark and see what Zeegers and Bertagnoli say.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

David