Thread: Greetings
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 08:53 AM

I feel that I am doing pretty well at the 9 month mark. My chronic pain is gone. I still get some tightness in my left calf and my entire left is still weaker than my right. I am still hopeful that it is still nerve and soft tissue healing and remodeling that is needed. I should clarify, the weakness is not apparent until pushed to the limit. It does not show in walking, everyday activities, and even certain exercises. I started cycling again(bike on trainer, not road yet) about 3 weeks ago. My first ride I felt the weakness in left leg immediately, more on the upstroke. I know do not feel noticeable difference until about 15 minutes. I have been riding 30 to 40 minutes, averaging around 150 watts, 17 to 18 mph. I do not notice the leg difference in 2 leg Pilates exercises but can notice in some 1 leg exercises. I think I am making progress and have to remember I am only 9 months post-op. My chronic hip shift is pretty much gone. My Si joint still goes out once in while, but duration between correction keeps lengthening, up to 2 to 3 weeks. When I have discomfort it is now usually in my thoracic and cervical. I do have some issues there but hoping to solve w/out surgery for now. I have been working on regaining thoracic mobility and my Pilates instructor feel that some of my issues are just from fatigue of muscles that I have not used in long time. Usually i feel sore at night and am ok in morning w/out taking anything. I take an NSAID about once a month if needed, I hate taking medications.

I choose Dr. Bierstedt because of his reputation, experience, rehab program, and my comfort level with him. It was a hard choice between Dr. Bierstedt and Dr. Clavel, the rehab at Medicos was a big factor in my final decision.

Let me know if you would like to talk to me about my experience.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt