View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 AM

Has anyone looked at a US medical bill lately (especially for an inpatient stay)? How are we even comparing cost?

Bwink,

I was turned down for ADR surgery here in the U.S. I was told that I didn't do enough non-invasive pre-presurgical treatment; BS! I had given them a 5 year report of my extensive pre-surgical failed protocol - didn't matter. In the end, the FDA rules and insurance standards rule over best practice and logical care - who cares about you (right?).

US surgeons are limited to restricted procedures. You MUST be your own advocate. It is the body you are going to live with in the end. $67K may seem a lot for European medical cost; but not compared to what you will pay here. I agree with you about the M6 - I didn't want any other device (and that was after my OWN extensive research and inquiry). AND, as we have spoken through "PM," you stand a good chance of receiving insurance reimbursement because it is an accepted form of corrective surgery and medically approved for 12+ years (in respect to the M6) and 20+ for ADR alone in EUROPE.

In my opinion, I believe you had made a confident, well thought, and educated decision about having your surgery overseas. The only downside was finding a competent neurologist to do follow-ups upon my return in the event I experienced any problems. Found one - so that entity was eliminated.
My 2-level cervical was 28000 euros or roughly $37,000 US. Lumbar, I would imagine, would be slightly more expensive due to its intricacies. If you're concerned about the price - by all means inquire with a few other experienced surgeons (run it by Dr. Bierstedt - at this time he does not charge a consultation fee). You're focus is getting your body back and performing in the way it was meant to be...that's priceless! The cost (less what you will be refunded by your insurance company - optimism) will be less than the purchase of a car - and will last you much longer.

You're on the right road - My best wishes for you.
Laura
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6