View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 03:04 PM

Here is my letter:

Dear Dateline,

I am writing to you on behalf of thousands of people in need of an Artificial Disc Replacement (lumbar, thoracic or cervical). Since the FDA approval in October of 2004, hopes of severe pain sufferers have been shattered to find that most insurance companies are denying coverage for this procedure.

I have been suffering from severe back pain for over 2 years. I was born with a piece of a facet joint missing and now have 2 collapsed discs in my back. I am 45 years old and my daily activities have been diminished greatly and can only be tolerated by taking narcotic pain medication on a chronic basis. The operation that has been recommended by 3 of the top surgeons in this field (in Los Angeles) will cost approximately $100,000.

There are people who have paid for the operation out of their pockets, taken money from their 401K, retirement fund, credit cards, loans from family and friends. Some have been left financially ruined and ultimately filed for bankruptcy. There are many who have gone to Germany (where the Charite Disc was developed) to have the surgery because the cost is more efficient.

There are a few insurance companies, such as Aetna, Blue Cross of Mass. and a few others that are covering the ADR, but clearly not enough. I feel that this topic is worth publicizing as there are millions of people that suffer from chronic back pain.

Detailed information on the Charite Disc can be found at www.charitedisc.com

Thank you and I look forward to your response.

Missing Facet Joint L5-S1
Collapsed Disc L4-5
DDD L3-4
Severe Stenosis
Disco + 3 levels
Sched. Oct. 11 - 2 level ADR & fusion
Dr. John Regan - L.A.
Awaiting approval!
[URL=http://www.lauracedar.com/XrayGallery]www.lauracedar.com/XrayGallery[/U