View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Default Risks & Complications

Thanks for pointing out the issues with ADR. I have also reviewed the risks and complications with fusion. One of the links below (3rd) shows that the patient is the one that isn't necessarily benefiting while the medical device manufacturers, hospitals & surgeons all do well by the surgery.
Spinal Fusion Risks and Complication

Multilevel Spinal Fusion for Low Back Pain

Highest-Paid U.S. Doctors Get Rich With Fusion Surgery Debunked by Studies - Bloomberg

I understand that failed back surgery syndrome (FBSS) affects up to 40 percent of patients. With a 3-level fusion which is only one of the options I am considering, risks only increase. This is why I am seriously looking at ADR & hybrid procedures rather than simply choosing what many of the surgeons I have consulted with are recommending (i.e. fusion). Below is more info about FBBS, which I believe can come from fusion, ADR and even microsurgery, which still represents surgery.
Primary causes

Many factors can contribute to FBSS, including:
  • Failure to adequately diagnose the condition(s)
  • Failure to adequately treat the condition(s)
  • Spinal fusion failure
  • Surgery performed at the wrong level of the spine
  • Creation of new spine conditions at another level after open-spine surgery (very common)
  • Scar tissue formation
  • Hardware insertion
  • Missed fragment of disc or bone still pinching nerve
  • Inadequate decompression of nerve root
  • Nerve damage

Symptoms
Patients with FBSS may experience or develop:
  • Continued/chronic pain
  • New spine conditions
  • Pain above or below the treated level of the spine
  • Limited mobility
  • Inability to recuperate
  • Dull/aching pain in neck, back or legs
  • Sharp/stabbing pain in extremities
  • Joint immobility
  • Spasms
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Dependence on prescription drugs
I am hoping that everyone on this site is looking for the info you shared on your CD, which includes: 1) Accurate Diagnosis (as good as one can obtain), 2) Review of Treatment Options, 3) Selection of Surgeon & Procedure, and 4) Road to Recovery.

I am still on steps 1 & 2 but making fast progress. I have recently obtained my flexion/extension X-rays (which some surgeons requested) and plan on an EMG test tomorrow (even though these may not be of significant value).

I have also obtained multiple inputs from many European doctors and planning the phone consult with at least two of them. It is not an easy decision between ADR hybrid & fusion & between more complex surgery (anterior & posterior at multiple levels) and minimal surgery in which I may have to have another surgery before long.

Some members on this site have had an easier time with surgeons agreeing on the problem (diagnosis) and on the treatment. Unfortunately, I am not one of those. Maybe the consults will make the decision easier.
2013/2014 – Dessication and significant disc height loss at L4-L5 & L5-S1; L3-L4 disc bulge with hypertrophy; mild spinal stenosis; Grade 1 anterolisthesis (3mm); L4-L5 - marginal spurring and moderate hypertrophy causing neuroforaminal narrowing; L5-S1 - moderate-severe neuroforaminal narrowing; lumbar lordosis is straightening.

New pains & functional limitations in late 2013 led to exploring ADR procedures. Consulted with 8 surgeons domestically and 9 in Europe.
May 2014 – Anterior and posterior incisions in a 5-hour surgery resulted in 2 M-6s and one facet joint prosthesis (dynamic stabilization system). On the road to full recovery.