View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 11:38 AM

Hi Jeff,

Harrison asked if I would share my list of questions. Here is a list that I have shared behind the screen many times because it is a bit taylored to me and my situation but there are questions that may be good for you and others. Good luck on your appointment.

1.If you agree that a disc replacement is the preferred approach to fix my problem. Am I a candidate for a Prodisc @ L5-S1?

2.In your opinion looking at my films do you think that I would have a good result? Are there any anatomical issues with my body that you think could pose a problem with an ADR?

3.Do you see any stenosis or other abnormalities on my films?

4.Can you explain the facet joint issues that show up on my MRI? What grad would you give my facet degeneration at this time?

5.Do you believe the prodisc will fit in my body? If the smallest Charite core size is 7.5 and adding the end plate you get a prosthetic apx 10 mm how small is the smallest prodisc?

6.Dr Bertingoli says that my case would be better for a Prodisc due to the less distraction needed to put it in vs the Charite. Do you agree or disagree with this.

7.As a professional athlete do you feel I will be able to get back to the ski profession after ADR. Is the Prodisc or the Charite better for an athlete please explain.

8.How many Prodisc have you implanted at this time?

9.Do you use nerve monitoring during the surgery?

10.How long would the hospital stay be? What kind of post surgical experience will I have there? What kind of pain medication will be available to me immediately after ADR? I don�t want to be in a position where I don�t have enough pain medication after the surgery.

11.Approximately what % of your patients have had good results or in other words are significantly improved in Oswestry and VAS scores 6 months after the artificial disc replacement?

12.What % of your patients have had complications (what type of complaints?) or required surgical revisions to either a fusion or a new disc replacement?

13.Is a revision possible with a Prodisc, have you done it and what what was the outcome?

14.What do you make of the differences between the Prodisc and the Charite?

15.Regan says that the Charite is a superior product due to its un-constrained design. He says that the Prodisc may split the vertebra in a catastrophic fall. Do you agree or disagree with this?

16.How do you determine the correct size during surgery? I have heard about problems with someone getting a disc too large for their body and having distraction pains�

17.Do you remove the annulus during ADR surgery? Why or why not.

18.Who is your vascular surgeon? Can I choose from your vascular surgeon choices? Dr. Wagner has come highly recommended?

19.What is your opinion of the Charite?

20.What are you indicators post ADR of when its ok for them to go back to work? I have a very physical job if reasonable accommodation are needed for me to get back to work will you work with my employer to develop these accommodation so I can get back to work?

21.My health insurance is Health Comp/Universal Health Net. They have approved me for ADR surgery with my local doctor and now the Dr Regan. What is the chance they will consider approval of ADR the prodisc.

22.What is the FDA status of the prodisc? Why do they continue canceling meetings? When did you believe approval would come?

23.Do you feel if my insurance will not cover the prodisc until FDA approval would waiting be an option for me or would it cause more damage to my body causing contraindications towards ADR in the future?

Since you are a non-network provider to them, they will pay for 60% of customary and reasonable charges. Will you accept their customary and reasonable payment; this would make me responsible for the remaining 40%?
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything