View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 10:59 PM

Post New here not sure If ADR, Discectomy or fusion will help? Pls give me ur opinion

Hello everybody,

My name is Arabella, 29 years old 5.5 feet 128 pounds this is my story please read it and give me your opinions and or advice( this will be greatly appreciate it J)

I went for a ski trip and fell down millions of times on the ice 4 months before of date of my injury, 2-3 months before date of injury I started lifting weights running dancing and being more active one day I felt super sore after working out and thought “Oh well I over did it this will go away” and then I bend to pick up a toy from the floor and felt that something moved in my lower back, the pain was absolutely terrible (pain went from my lower right side buttock area until my right foot) I thought this will go away but it never did …. I tried physical therapy 3 times without success (pain used to get worse when trying this specially on right leg) and had 3 epidural shots plus a nerve block shot that instead of giving me relief made my pain worse … I haven’t been able to sleep at night because of the pain … Pain doctor prescribed a pain killer muscle relaxant pill called amrix which I’ve been taking for the past 3 weeks and helped at the beginning with the pain but now is making me nervous depress and feeling like here but not here … Can’t sleep well wake up dizzy with blurry vision … I’m feeling helpless sad and very bad …

My life has changed I am not longer working or driving or walking more than 5-10 minutes … Pain is the worst when sitting specially on lower back right side pain radiates to the leg on and off … I have been in pain for the past 10 months … Last doctor told me I need surgery he mentioned a discectomy will help and didn’t think a fusion was necessary because according to him I have a disc herniation L5 S1 but went to get a second opinion from a very well know surgeon and he mentioned that I need a fusion because I have DDD on L5 S1 which will cost $30,000 out of pocket since I do not have health insurance and or a disc replacement which will be for free because the company that makes this disc will be paying for the study, they are starting a clinical trial with the freedom and the prodisc disc replacements here in Georgia to see which disc is better …. For all of you out there:

Has anyone had a microdiscetomy? Did it help? Did you need another one in time?

Which surgery do you recommend for someone with pain on the lower back right side and on the back and front upper tight and buttock ( pain sometimes goes to the leg toes ankle and foot specially at night pain and it is on and off)?

Would you recommend a fusion or disc replacement?

For how long is the disc replacement lasts? And the fusion?

I am very confused and as I have never had a back problem or any major health problem Im very concerned about my condition… I have no family in the country and I feel so alone going through this since I have got 2 different opinions from these 2 surgeons I am not sure of what to do …. Any comments and or advices are really appreciate it …. Hope to hear soon from you…

Thank you for reading and for all of us that are in pain hope we get out of pain soon....

Kind regards

Arabella

Last edited by bellyrm; 04-08-2009 at 11:24 PM.