View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 11:38 AM

Question New User - Possible ADR - Feel confused.

Hello everyone,

This community seems awesome and i'm happy to have found such a great resource.

I am joining because I have a herniation from an accident years ago that has gotten worse. I am scared because I am still only 27, can still be fairly active, and stay fit. Here is some more info:

MRI

C4-5: Diffuse central bulge, indents thecal sac.

C5-6:Large left posterolateral disc extrusion, moderate compression on ventral surface of the spinal cord, moderate to severe central spinal stenosis.

Pain

I have a constant ache and tightness in many of my back muscles. I feel like I can feel exact point of the herniation and it's effects. I sometimes get tingles, mostly when I am sitting in a stupid position, or letting the wheels of anxiety turn too rapidly.

I have started to develop a bit of low back pain, and sciatica that comes and goes, but I think that is derived from mostly being a lot lazier than normal the past year or so. I have let this get to me (who wouldn't) and have been a lot less active and have experienced depression. I think I can combat it and strengthen my core and assist it's healing process.

MEDICAL ADVICE

My PCP (i'm in the U.S.) tells me I am too young to have surgery, although an ADR would be the best option. She let me seek out a referral. I contacted the Brandon Nuerospine Center in Brandon, FL (I live in Tampa Bay). And went to see a Dr who specializes in spine issues and ADR.

He said I should have a one level mobi-c ADR. That I wouldn't miss much work, and since I am young and fit have a good chance of healing quickly.

After lurking the message board I see a lot of people venturing to Barcelona for treatment with Dr. Clavel.

Are you all paying for this out of pocket? There is no way I could afford 30-40k without a LONG payment plan. My insurance here pays 70% of the copay.

I do not have a great paying job, but there is lots of flexibility, and within the next year I will be starting a career in software development so the opportuinity to make much more is there.

So, all in all, I am confused. Being 27 and facing a major-ish surgery is terrifying. I know there are options but I wish to lessen my pain and have a more structured spine and be able to build strength and enjoy life again. I also do not want the symptoms to get worse and worse. I'm tired of feeling crazy!

Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thank you