View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 PM

Hi Jeff!

I'm sorry you've had such a runaround with your issues!

I have the same problems at the same levels as you. The difference I think is that I've been treating with pain management for about 10 years, since my first (and only, so far) discogram. Finding a good PM doc can be a lifesaver. Many offer different programs to help lead you back to some functioning and also to clear the cobwebs.

My own doc offered a 10 week course using a book "Managing Pain Before It Manages You" by Dr. Caudill. This was done in a group setting and was very helpful. There are also mental health providers in my area (N. Calif) who offer similar seminars or classes. Going down this road did not mean an end to looking at surgery for me, but gave me a way to cope while I was trying to sort things out and get authorizations.

I would say a good PM doc offers not only medication management but also other therapies including counseling or access to counseling.

I personally had to take a break from looking at surgery because I kept hitting brick walls, couldn't get anyone to try to get an US consult for me because they all said workers comp wouldn't pay for the surgery. My attitude all along has been that I don't care that they won't pay for the surgery, I need to talk to a US surgeon (or maybe more than one!) to find out what my options in the US are. I already know what they options are in Germany but can't move forward with my work comp case being open. But my point is that I was going crazy, not knowing what to do and the frustration certainly didn't help with the pain.

Good luck and PM me anytime. I went to HS in CT, West Hartford, and wish I were closer so I could go see Dr. Yue!
TREATMENT: IDET, ESI's, Radiofrequency, Chiropractic, Pain Management, PT.
No work since 1999.
ADR Surgery at BetaKlinik, Bonn, Germany 11/30/11-Activ-L at L45,STALIF at L5S1--recovery good so far!
http://backtalk2011.blogspot.com/?v=0