View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 04:54 PM

KBear,

I had constipation preop because of the drugs and inactivity. It wasn't so bad when I was on Darvocet and then oxycontin moved it up a couple of notches.
That Enolose is powerful stuff, (we use it in hospital under generic name Lactulose to give to people to poop, to clear stuff out for certain conditions).

I was bloated and constipated before surgery. I took generic Colace, Miralax, prune juice, prunes, and anything that would cause BMs. I would check with your PM doc, or your surgeon, or a gastro doc to make sure that it is from constipation. Always good idea to check with a doc regarding medication, prescription or not and symptoms too.

I have noticed a tendency to return to constipation when I got back on Gabapentin (brandname, Neurotin) and I just looked up the side effects, and constipation is one of them. Lyrica also has constipation as a side effect.

Post-surgery was a constipation hell hole, especially when I got an illeus (post operative illeus means my lower bowel stopped working). It accounted for my extra days stay in the hospital. I already knew that I was at risk for an illeus so it wasn't a great surprise, but i could have done without one. LOL.

Again, before taking another med, please check with your doc. I read where some laxative meds can clear out too much of your medication and that can be problematic.

After surgery, I used the Miralax, generic colace, suppostitores, etc...
I just started feeling better regarding this common malady, but I would go four-five-six--you name it, days without a BM. They (doc's office) didn't want me going past four-five days as I recall.

File this under TMI, but there are lots of threads dealing with this topic.
Just go to a doc and figure out why you are bloated. It is always a good idea to check things out before going under the knife.

Kimmers