View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 03:20 PM

Default New here and scared to death

Hi all (I posted this on the other board too),

A little background: I am a 33 year old male. I have recently lost 205 pounds. Exciting stuff (diet and exercise). I went from 399 to 194. I am 6'3", though I think with my disc issues, I am 6'1.5".
My back pain started when i was 17...I was diagnosed with a bulging L5-S1. Since then I have had annoying low back pain...not agony or anything, but I was always aware of it. About 2 years ago, I started to get sciatica in my left hip. It made standing nearly impossible without me being in agony! I had an MRI...the L5-S1 bulge was still there (went down a little bit), but now I had an L4-L5 herniation. I had 3 cortisone injections which has helped tremendously. About 4 months ago, I noticed this horrible burning pain in my lower back when I was sitting. Back for another MRI...My L4-L5 herniation was slightly shrunk, but I now have an annular fissure. My L5-S1 has increased slightly. I had 2 L4-L5 right side injections for the tear...first one helped for two months. Had my last one this past Friday, and nada. I have retrolistehsis of 1.5mm at L2-L3, and 3mm at L5-S1. I have some other small issues (I'll update when I get the MRI report from home), but I have a feeling I'm headed down that surgical road. I visited an neurosurgeon here in NJ...he suggested an L4-S1 PLIF...yeah, OK. I am not doing that. So, Europe/Spain looks like it's going to be my only option.
I guess I'm looking at Zeegers, Bierstedt, and Clavel? What is the best way to contact them? I'm going to have to pay out of pocket (for a 2-level, I'm assuming 45k (American) or so)?
I'm scared to death, and I have no idea where to turn to right now.