View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 08:25 PM

Newbie here, with some questions.

Hello all,

Wow, am I glad I found this site! What a plethora of information!

As you can see from my signature, I have been dealing with back pain for a long time. I had a Microdiscectomy on L4-L5 in 2003 which helped my sciatic pain so much but didn’t seem to do much for the back pain.

In the past 5 years my pain level has varied. An average day it is a 3 to 5 depending on what I am doing. Then there are the times that the pain shots up to a 6 to 8 because I have done something to upset my delicate back. This can be something as simple as lifting my toddler into her car seat and twisting just a bit. I am not very active because most everything I do causes me pain. Even just walking more than a few blocks can be too much for me on some days, I just never know.

The past couple of years I have been experiencing times when the pain is much more severe and keeps me from even walking, sitting or even standing. Usually these episodes last a day or two. Almost 5 weeks ago I was pushing the stroller and jogging to catch up with my 2 year old…maybe 30 feet or so. When I stopped and took a few regular steps I realized I was in severe pain and couldn’t walk. This episode was so bad I had to be brought to the hospital by ambulance and the pain lasted 3 weeks. I had a difficult time walking around using a walker even on pain meds. This was the worst it has ever been. I am getting back to my regular level of pain but am now feeling more afraid, not knowing when the next “episode” may occur. It was very frightening being out and about with a toddler and an infant and not being able to walk, let alone lift them or take care of them.

I have always been really afraid of a fusion or disc replacement surgery… but now feel like it may be my only choice. I met with Dr. Zuckerman at St. Mary’s Spine Clinic 3 weeks ago. He said that I was a candidate for a double disc replacement L4-S1. I have seen another Dr. a few years back who said I needed fusion of L3-S1.

I am confused as to what is best and don’t know if Dr. Zuckerman is the Dr. I should go with. He was SO impersonal and didn’t really examine me or ask me questions… just looked at my MRI films and said double disc replacement. I haven’t had a Discogram, but don’t know if that is necessary or not seeing as L4-L5 is the disc I’ve had problems with all along… 15 years and has a protrusion of 8.8 mm, and L5-S1 has a protrusion of 5.3mm.

Has anyone had any really great experiences with Doctors in California? Who would you recommend I get a second opinion from? Why wouldn’t the Doctors I have seen recommend a Discogram? (I ask because it seems a lot of people have had these.)

Which artificial disc seems to be the best for the L4-S1 regions? Why?

I just don’t feel like I know what I am doing. I feel so confused and scared. With two small children to care for I don’t want my back to just go out at any time but I am also afraid of the surgery and the time it will take to recover.

Anyway… that’s me in a nut shell. Thanks for reading… and double thanks for any responses!
After 2 pregnancies (not necessaril