View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 10:19 PM

Pete, you sound a lot like me as far as your back is concerned. I've had daily pain in my back for over 20 years. It never goes away, but I've always been able to cope with it. I raced motorcycles for 10 years and up until last summer had been racing mountain bikes. There were days I wanted to blow my brains out, and days where I was in heaven because the pain was tolerable. But I was always able to get through my day without too much drama, and the good days gave me hope. But those days started to crumble.

I looked into ADR about 6 years ago, but decided I'd wait until I could no longer wait. Then last summer I injured my back (again) and I've been unable to function normally since. I finally reached the point where my life is pretty much no longer my own, and surgery is a last resort. I've done a ton of research and exercised every possible non surgical option. And I'm at peace with my decision to undergo ADR and can't wait to land in Germany in a few weeks

What I'm saying is, I know exactly what you're dealing with. I'm scared out of my mind. But if I don't take this chance my life is pretty much done as it is. It's a big decision to undergo back surgery, and one that should be made only after you've done your due diligence.

Happiness for me comes down to quality of life. If your quality of life is permanently compromised, then ADR might be a consideration.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
I didn't find another forum to discuss these questions, so i'll just keep this thread going.

One thing that concerns me deeply is if i decide to postpone the ADR surgery.
Even though my condition is chronic and is always there, i wonder how much worse will it get if i don't do ADR.
Some days it's so so and some days it hurts but i think my mind and body has accepted and adjusted to the pain. The Cymbalta has probably contributed to this also or i would've weened off of it.
There seem to be a lot more people worse off than me and since having a 3 level ADR is a major surgery i'm still scared to death.
Do i live with the devil i know or don't know?
If i wait, of course my DDD will only progress, but will the pain?
It's like i'm at the point if i do the ADR's it's more of a proactive move in my current mind.
Do i wait till my discs collapse or facets get worse. Seems like a no brainer but still a major, major decision not knowing the outcome.
just an example is my L3-L4 has a bulge with disc desiccation.
It's been like this since first confirmed on an MRI in 2000.
It hasn't herniated and disc height hasn't changed much.
When i had my consultation with Bierstadt, Malte told me i should get it replaced as i was already considering ADR at L4-S1 and my last surgery should be my last. Almost makes me feel like a throw in if you know what i mean.
- Torn ligaments in SI joint
- PRP injections at SI joint
- Tarlov cysts on sacrum
- Lumbar stenosis
- L4/L5 ADR Feb 25, 2014 with Dr. Bierstedt.
http://iansroadback.blogspot.com