View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 01:56 AM

I don't think it's as much what's the "best artificial disc" as it is who are the best doctors and best hospitals for your procedure. You should really read alot deeper here and research which doctor/disc combo would be good for you. I have had problems for 5 years. I have a Prodisc at L4-L5 but I am having another discogram done in a week to determine if the L5-S1 is giving me pain. The surgery for the ADR was horrible. Don't do it unless you are at the end of your rope. I couldnt move in the hospital bed for 3 days. It wasnt the complete answer for me. My Prodisc is implanted perfectly so I cant imagine the problems I would have had if an inexperienced surgeon had screwed me up on top of the problems I already have. Like bad placement, poor procedure, inferior handling of the implant etc... I fought for a more experienced surgeon with Workers Comp and made them send me to NY where they have more experience. Although my L4-L5 disc was degenerated and needed replacing, it wasnt the only issue so they may do a fusion or hopefully a non invasive to fix L5-S1.
This site has been helpful. Try attending a symposium too. I got to meet the top doctors in the world for this procedure at a symposium in NYC setup by my patient advocate.
Attending were: Dr. Bertagnoli, Dr. Zeegers, Dr. Regan, Dr. Bitan, Dr. Hochchuler Dr. Buettner-Janz, Dr. Yeung, Dr. Yue etc.... Each doctor has their own favorite disc they use. For example, Dr. Bitan uses only Charite. I didn't want a Charite even though Dr. Bitan was the most experienced Charite implanter, but Dr. Goldstein was the most experienced Prodisc implanter. I went with Dr. G even though he has less overall experience with Artificial discs. It so happens not many people in America are as experienced as Dr. Bitan since he has been doing ADR in Europe since the 80's.
My patient advocate also has my films online so all my doctors can see them. I find that helpful as well. Keep up with the clinical trials too...

Good LUCK!!!!
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1 tear)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC