View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 10:16 PM

FranklySir,

Excellent posts. Harrison's points probably would have been better served under it's own thread. No offense taken. I just read and move on. You're right, there is no "100% success rate" wherever you go. I believe his issues are how Clavel is promoting himself as having no complications.

Defining "complications" between clinical terms and patient outcome terms....are 2 very different things. A surgeon can carry a "90% fusion rate" in regards to fusions and be considered a success, despite the patient not getting any pain relief from it. I imagine that ADR surgeons promote themselves in the same manner. A textbook implanted ADR may not resolve a patient's pain, but would be a clinical 100% success if there is nothing to contradict it.

I don't need Harrison's help in second guessing, i'm doing that fine by myself!! It's all about COST vs. RISK. I believe many patients make their decisions solely based on cost, and i don't want to be that way. My insurance, at a 70% out of pocket reimbursement for overseas work, gives me an avenue to pursue what i think is a BETTER option. I would bet my house on the facts that:

1. All INFORMED patients would use an M6 in the U.S if it was fully covered.
2. ALL patients would go overseas to get it if they were fully covered for it there and not in the United States. WHY?? Money, not necessarily surgical experience.

When it gets down to brass tacks, it's about the bottom dollar. Many patients who do know about the M6, still get the Prodisc on virtue of coverage. That's fine. They will even use their "trusted" surgeon despite a limited track record with ADR's....That's fine too....COST vs. RISK. Everyone's different with different circumstances to deal with. That's why we read other poster's scenarios, to try to get a better picture of what you can do for yourself, evaluate your specific COST vs. RISK profile.

Feb. 2014 - Hybrid lumbar fusion(l5/S1), ADR(L4/L5)...2-level cervical ADR (C5/C6, C6/C7). Dr. Pablo Clavel of Quiron Hospital in Barcelona, Spain. All M6 implants (PEEK cage and plate from Medtronic at fusion level in lumbar.) SAME DAY OPERATION for both areas of the spine.